Posted to alt.home.repair

Default low voltage electrical splice?

I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long run of
wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted), covered with vinyl
electric tape and everything seemed to be working. Then the wire burned
through at the splice. The ends seemed to be corroded through . . . covered
with green corrosion. This has happened twice at the same spot. Any
suggestions as to why this is happening and what to do about it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gypsy Moth" wrote in message
. ..
I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long run of
wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted), covered with
vinyl electric tape and everything seemed to be working. Then the wire
burned through at the splice. The ends seemed to be corroded through . . .
covered with green corrosion. This has happened twice at the same spot.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what to do about it?

The best thing to use is a gel filled underground wire nut, such as "king
one step" or Ideal "underground wire nut"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gypsy Moth wrote:
I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long run of
wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted), covered with vinyl
electric tape and everything seemed to be working. Then the wire burned
through at the splice. The ends seemed to be corroded through . . . covered
with green corrosion. This has happened twice at the same spot. Any
suggestions as to why this is happening and what to do about it?

It's probably getting damp, corroding, and then the tape burns through
because of the high resistance.

I would resplice it but this time use heat shrink, solder the wires
together, put a thin coat of silicone grease over that, then slide a
LONG piece of heat shrink over the splice and shrink it down.

If that doesn't work you'll have to replace the wire with one that can
be run continuously.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
"Gypsy Moth" wrote in message
. ..
I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long run of
wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted), covered with
vinyl electric tape and everything seemed to be working. Then the wire
burned through at the splice. The ends seemed to be corroded through . . .
covered with green corrosion. This has happened twice at the same spot.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what to do about it?

The best thing to use is a gel filled underground wire nut, such as "king
one step" or Ideal "underground wire nut"

Yep, and then tape it thoroughly as an outer moisture barrier -- it's
obviously in a damp location from the corrosion products in so short a
time, even w/ the aid of the voltage.

Of course, you may have developing pinholes in the insulation leading to
new failures, too. If it fails yet again after the above repair,
replacing a section or the whole run may in the cards soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gypsy Moth wrote:
I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long run of
wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted), covered with vinyl
electric tape and everything seemed to be working. Then the wire burned
through at the splice. The ends seemed to be corroded through . . . covered
with green corrosion. This has happened twice at the same spot. Any
suggestions as to why this is happening and what to do about it?

Solder. Cheap, lasts forever.

You'll need to strip back to find nice clean copper. Twist together
tightly & solder away.

You can even get out of acquiring any soldering equipment -- just stop
by Radio Shack (maybe elsewhere, but not positive) to buy strip solder.
It's a package of little strips of solder, each the size of a match,
and you wrap your connection with a few of these and apply heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Barr wrote:

Gypsy Moth wrote:

I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long
run of wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted),
covered with vinyl electric tape and everything seemed to be working.
Then the wire burned through at the splice. The ends seemed to be
corroded through . . . covered with green corrosion. This has
happened twice at the same spot. Any suggestions as to why this is
happening and what to do about it?

Solder. Cheap, lasts forever.

You'll need to strip back to find nice clean copper. Twist together
tightly & solder away.

You can even get out of acquiring any soldering equipment -- just stop
by Radio Shack (maybe elsewhere, but not positive) to buy strip solder.
It's a package of little strips of solder, each the size of a match,
and you wrap your connection with a few of these and apply heat.

Hmmm,
How about using a wire nut and fill the nut with Si sealant, then wrap
it tight with tape.