Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Backlash Backlash is offline

Default mill vise problems--am I doing something wrong?

You got the idea! This will also allow you to repeat position parts in
the mill vise. It's one of the handiest things I use on the mills. The one I
poorly described is a piece of 3/8" flatbar bolted to the fixed jaw of the
vise to protrude several inches above the jaws. An allen head bolt is tapped
into the upper portion, in line with the direction of the table travel. A
locking nut holds the bolt tight, but lets it protrude into the vise work
area, a couple of inches above the jaws. The upper bolt acts as the actual
stop, since it is now adjustable. I have one cut to shape to allow straddle
cutters to pass over and around it while it supports tall pieces on a
horizontal mill.

RJ

wrote in message
On Apr 5, 11:04 am, "Backlash" wrote:
You can add a vise stop to the end of your vise on the fixed jaw by
drilling
and tapping a hole for a flat plate retained by a bolt. This sticks up
above
the vise jaws and provides a physical stop for the thrust pressure of
milling. Another bolt with a locknut tapped into the upper part of the
stop
provides localized pressure at the top edge of the plate. A horizontal
mill
can snatch items right out of the vice without using this type of endstop
take the forces. A Bridgeport generally pushes parts over more slowly,
but
can bust a cutter for you..

RJ

Found an example he