Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mill vise problems--am I doing something wrong?

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:51:48 -0700 (PDT),

On 2008-04-02, Steve Lusardi wrote:

wrote in message
I have a Sherline vertical mill (the 5000 series) and I keep having a
problem with my aluminum workpiece pulling loose from the mill vise.
I have NEVER had very good luck getting the Sherline mill vise to hold
aluminum terribly well. Is this a deficiency of their mill vise?
Would a different mill vise solve the problem? Is it possible that .
010" cuts are too much?
I cannot imagine what you are doing to cause this problem from your
information supplied, but it is highly unusual. Please describe what you are
doing and how.

I don't know whether there there was more to what you posted --
both quoted samples that I have seen have not shown more, so I don't
know whether the following applies or not.

If the workpiece is sticking out of the vise by a height in
excess of perhaps four times the height of the jaw grip, then there is a
major problem with leverage working against you.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Good catch. I put in a piece of 6061 scrap that I cut off the
workpiece with a bandsaw, one
small enough that it was just barely above the jaws--and I was able to
run an end mill across the
surface just fine. At .010" slices, it worked just great--not a
single snag, stoppage, or loosening.
I tried one pass at .015" and while it didn't stop, I could see that
this was the upper limit of what
I could do.

When I turned that scrap on end, so that there was about 3" sticking
above the jaws, the old
problems started to appear.

So, does this mean that if you have a workpiece that is fairly big,
you should get yourself a mill
vise with very tall jaws? Does someone make a mill vise for
micromills with varying height jaws?

Obviously, you should turn a workpiece the direction required to get
maximum grip from the jaws, and
mill vertically rather than horizontally--but sometimes that's just
not possible.

And always..always mill into the fixed jaw direction if you have a
sloppy vise

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner