Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default low voltage electrical splice?

RBM wrote:
"Gypsy Moth" wrote in message
. ..
I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long run of
wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted), covered with
vinyl electric tape and everything seemed to be working. Then the wire
burned through at the splice. The ends seemed to be corroded through . . .
covered with green corrosion. This has happened twice at the same spot.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what to do about it?

The best thing to use is a gel filled underground wire nut, such as "king
one step" or Ideal "underground wire nut"

Yep, and then tape it thoroughly as an outer moisture barrier -- it's
obviously in a damp location from the corrosion products in so short a
time, even w/ the aid of the voltage.

Of course, you may have developing pinholes in the insulation leading to
new failures, too. If it fails yet again after the above repair,
replacing a section or the whole run may in the cards soon.