MattH

Default Getting the right color for mahogany

Kim Whitmyre wrote in
m:

In article ,
says...
I've read on the wreck that it should have a nice red
color, but it looks more like orange than red to me. It definitely
looks more red on the non-finished side.

It depends on the wood itself, Matt. I recently finished a Limbert-
inspired Honduras Mahogany table: the base was originally all one 16"
wide board, with the top coming from two different boards. The base,
after a teak oil finish, came out a reddish-brown, but the top came
out rather orange. The reason, IMHO, was due to the base piece being
much denser/finer grained than the top pieces. I rubbed on a coat of
Liberon Black Bison cabinet wax, and now the top is in harmony with
the base.

Kim

Thanks Kim. I know that I have a couple different kinds of mahogany,
despite getting them from the same place (Austin hardwoods) for the same
price. The color and grain pattern of the boards is totally different, so
much so that I'd suspect that the first stuff that I bought may be some
other kind of "mahogany." I'm pretty sure that the newer stuff is true
honduras stuff. So, I'm probably going to need to use a dye to try to get
both of the woods to look more similar. But, still, does anyone know if
it's normal for garnet to make the wood look so much more yellow that it
ends up less red?
-Matt