Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14041 Ignoramus14041 is offline

Default Very interesting homemade trailer

On 2008-04-05, Backlash wrote:
My experiences:

In NC, the numbers are required on the right rear of the axle, to be visible
when looking under the trailer from the rear, and also as close as possible
to the hitch area on the tongue of the trailer.

A homebuilt trailer number has to be applied for, usually beginning with
NCXxxxxxxx. Then that number is stamped in both places, and any law
enforcement officer can sign off on the form to verify it is indeed, a home
constructed unit, not stolen factory units. Used to be able to stamp a plate
and weld it on, now I hear the numbers have to be stamped into the parent
metal. I haven't had to blaze a title lately, though, so haven't verified
this latest.

For my trailer, all I had to do is swear that I built it. No one even
looked at it. I keep copies of receipts for parts, in the box mounted
on the trailer, just in case.

RJ

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
news:iuOdnTtAcp6fHWranZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@internetofbe aufortcounty...
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 07:23:06 -0500, Ignoramus20845
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UTILITY-TRAILER_...QQcmdZViewItem

Very smart concept.

"Bill of sale only" - my translation WARNING: He doesn't have a
title slip, and may not have clear title. Do a little Caveat Emptor
and find out for sure before spending money... Other than that, a drop
bed trailer. I've seen them done better,
and with less risky drop suspension designs.

Seems it would be very hard on the hydraulics as well. O-rings probably
really take a beating! Wonder how often the hydraulics have to be
rebuilt....

In NC they usually stamp the serial number on the axle. What axle . . .
In this case? Don't know where the Ser.# would go.

Can you imagine going down the highway at 70 mph, hitting a bump and
rupturing an "O" ring?

A few months back I was going down I-85 and saw an 18-wheeler dragging his
lift gate. He pulled over and a couple hours later I came back by. A DOT
vehicle was there. To help? To inspect the vehicle? Who knows!
Hydraulics do go out, thankfully the "let down" is not always
instantaneous.