Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] clayton@claytoncramer.com is offline

Default mill vise problems--am I doing something wrong?

On Apr 2, 4:40 pm, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:08:51 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:
I have a Sherline vertical mill (the 5000 series) and I keep having a
problem with my aluminum workpiece pulling loose from the mill vise.
I have NEVER had very good luck getting the Sherline mill vise to hold
aluminum terribly well. Is this a deficiency of their mill vise?
Would a different mill vise solve the problem? Is it possible that .
010" cuts are too much?

==============
How big an end mill are you using? Feeds? Speeds?

One trick to hold relatively smooth work pieces in a vice with
smooth jaws or on a smooth faceplate is to insert a piece of
rough brown paper as from a paper bag. In general the paper is
uniform in thickness so parallelism to the fixed jaw should not
be affected. It can be helpful to put a rod in between the part
and movable jaw parallel to the base so the part will be clamped
square to the fixed jaw and not lifted by any tilt of the movable
jaw.

I have not tried this my self (brown paper was always enough),
but some of my shaper books suggest using worn emery paper in
place of the brown paper for even more "bite."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

I tried to use both a 3/4" and a 3/8" end mill, two flute, without
success. I tried
very low speeds (a few hundred RPM) and very high. I tried even .005"
slices. I'm told
that I may need to use more aggressive cuts to prevent the end mill
form just smearing
the material.