Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] clayton@claytoncramer.com is offline

Default mill vise problems--am I doing something wrong?

On Apr 2, 4:01 pm, "NewsGroups" spar@plaus wrote:
wrote in message

I have a Sherline vertical mill (the 5000 series) and I keep having a
problem with my aluminum workpiece pulling loose from the mill vise.
I have NEVER had very good luck getting the Sherline mill vise to hold
aluminum terribly well. Is this a deficiency of their mill vise?
Would a different mill vise solve the problem? Is it possible that .
010" cuts are too much?

I use a sherline vise on my Emco Compact 5 milling adapter.
It gets lots of use and has never let me down.

Is this perhaps a problem of a worn out vise? I bought the mill with
this vise, used (very used).
I will try the proposed technique for improving clamping with some
fine sandpaper between the
workpiece and the jaws.