Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default building trailer axles

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 05:16:24 -0700 (PDT), mark
wrote:

On Apr 4, 3:21Â*am, Bruce L. Bergman
On 2008-04-04, Trevor Jones wrote:
mark wrote:
My local trailer building supply house has "high speed stub axle
assemblies" with a stub 4"long and 1/3/4"in diameter made so you can
build your own axles. I assume they are designed to go into some type
of pipe or tubing and welded in place but what kind. The u bolt spring
hangers they sell are for 2 3/8"dia . This leads me to believe maybe
2"schedule 80 pipe which is 2 3/8"OD but 1.90"ID. Is 0.015" play too
much, should they be wrapped with shimstock? There is 2 3/8"tubing
available but the ID is 1.749" so they won't fit that. The seller
(princess auto) has no idea either. Thanks

Â* They are for welding onto square tube to make a rocking axle dual
wheel mount, or for a solid set-up, welded to the trailer frame members.
They get used on a lot of farm equipment, too.

Â* Just buy the built axle if you are looking at a standard single wheel
axle design. You can't build a decent safe axle for what they want for
one, unless you have an exceptional scrap pile and the know-how to do it
safely (which, if you are asking....)

Â* Can you jig up the stub axles to keep them in line? Reliably? And weld
them in place accurately?

Â* Just askin'. Better to realistically assess the chances now, than to
spend a bunch of money, then have to do it all again for the next try.

Axles are critical and very inexpensive. Buy a Dexter or some such,
made to your spec, and be happy forever.

Â* Go get the axle made by Dexter or another axle mfg. company, and it
will come the way you need it, including pre-assembled 7" or 8"
electric brakes and even a set of wheels and tires. Â*The premade axles
include installation kits - all the spring saddles, springs, u-bolts,
shackles, frame saddles and brackets needed to install it safely.

Â* There's way too much fabrication involved, and you have to get ALL
the little details right - or you will deal with failures that could
have multi-fatal consequences.

Â* And fabricating a suspension from scratch is reinventing the wheel
and will cost you dearly in parts and time. Â*The axle company buys all
these pieces in bulk, and you will save in the long run.

Â* The axle tubing has to be the right steel for strength, the welds
holding the spindles on are critical and tricky, and the axle needs a
2 or 3 degree bend in the middle /at an angle/, to provide a bit of
toe-in and camber so it tracks right. Â*They know how much to tweak it,
you would have to experiment till the trailer tracks true.

Â* Save your effort for making the trailer frame and body.

Â* Â* Â* Â* -- Bruce --- Hide quoted text -

So nobody know the answer then.
I like how you all give advise but have no idea what I am doing with
the axles. I am building a boat trailer that will never leave my yard
as I live on the water and have my own launch, I don't want brakes, I
don't want suspension. Toe in/out etc doesn't matter, it will never be
on pavement. These spindle are on sale right now and I can build the
axles to the exact width I want.

So for YOUR APPLICATION the 0.015" oversize of the Sched80 is not an
issue. Go for it. Just make sure the trailer is never used on a public
road, for liability reasons - when you don't need it any more cut it
up, don't sell it.