Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20845 Ignoramus20845 is offline

Default Very interesting homemade trailer

On 2008-04-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus20845 fired this volley
in :

You know, after all the comments here, etc, I think that ramps and
winches are probaly a safer way to go.

Iggy, I think the concept is safer, just not their execution. I'd rather
hand-truck a heavy item onto a ground-level platform than up a ramp.

I winched a 1,000 lbs compressor off, and then on, my trailer, on a
wood cart on casters, worked just fine.

Also, a trailer could be tilted towards the back, by means as simple
as the rear wheels of the truck driving on a ramp.

Certainly, a trailer could be built that didn't have an 80:1 advantage
over the cylinders, and had a more positive means of locking the
assembly.

(It also appears that the trailer has no decent suspension, although it
might have those chewing gum torsion springs in the axle mounts).

I would like to know how to do it.

The idea is kind of cute, until one realizes that it is hard to have
any meaningful weight capacity.