Dan

Default Is a radial saw more versitile than a table saw?

Hi Takashi,

My idea of the perfect shop would include 40 feet along one wall with a
radial arm saw in the center and 20 foot of bench on either side. I would
use it for cross cutting and ripping solid stock. I had a radial arm saw for
many years that had an auxiliary spindle for 1/4 inch router bits that ran
at 20,000 RPM. I used it a lot. I would also put my CMS somewhere close to
the radial arm saw. Space limitations have sent the radial arm saw on to
another owner.

I use a cabinet saw and a CMS for most of my work. I do sheet goods on
the back patio on saw horses with a circular saw then trim with the cabinet
saw. There are many different ways to do most any project. You can't go
wrong with a table saw and a router for getting started.

Dan

"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.