Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default building trailer axles

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:01:01 -0700 (PDT), mark
wrote:

My local trailer building supply house has "high speed stub axle
assemblies" with a stub 4"long and 1/3/4"in diameter made so you can
build your own axles. I assume they are designed to go into some type
of pipe or tubing and welded in place but what kind. The u bolt spring
hangers they sell are for 2 3/8"dia . This leads me to believe maybe
2"schedule 80 pipe which is 2 3/8"OD but 1.90"ID. Is 0.015" play too
much, should they be wrapped with shimstock? There is 2 3/8"tubing
available but the ID is 1.749" so they won't fit that. The seller
(princess auto) has no idea either. Thanks

I'd go with 2" Sched 80 in a pinch, but IIRC there is a DOM tubing
that fits them exactly. Try metal supermarket. I think it is 2 1/4
inch DOM (1/4 wall).
A lot of these axles have been used un "U" chanel axles too. And in
square tube.
In Sched 80 I'd just put a few "weld blisters" around the shaft to
make them fit snug, and drill a few 1/2" holes through the tube and
plug weld them. In DOM I'd fasten them the same way - at least 4 good
plug welds. Keeps the HAZ away from the end where the axle tube and
stub join.