Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default scrap metal revisited

"robert" wrote in message
jives11 wrote:
Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the
roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get
snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the
growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings,
assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling
center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts
of metalwork that are worth selling ?

I've found are local scrap metal dealer easy to deal with (even if the
premises are a bit intimidating at first)with no minimum amounts.

Segregate the scrap into its different types for best prices - well worth
removing brass fittings from copper pipe first. They will weigh and pay
for each category separately.

Copper gets the best prices - even domestic mains flexs get £1 kg.
But even the iron etc is going to be recycled properly so a good place to
get rid of everything possible with the money an extra.

Separate aluminium too. You might think there's no weight in your bucket of
bits but it's worth collecting and taking.

I'm currently collecting all my bits of platinum wire.

Mary