Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Light bulb power saver

In article , "Silver Surfer" wrote:
Oops. I should have revealed my ulterior motive. My daughter's
mother-in-law has an outside light fixture that eats incandescent bulbs for
some reason. I measured the voltage and found that it was 123 volts. No
other fixtures in the house eat bulbs like this one does. My wild guess is
that the house wiring (relatively new abode) may be miswired or defective in
some strange way. Would rather not spend a lot of time tracing it out while
possibly damaging the wallboard and such.

She uses a low wattage bulb in the fixture. My thinking was to use one of
the disc thingies in the fixture with a higher wattage bulb. Perhaps the
diode would save the bulb from a peculiar voltage surge if that indeed is
what is happening. Just trying to find an quick, easy, and lazy way out.

I use CFL's. My outside lamp is on continious for at least 1.5 years.
I don't turn it off. I have 4 inside I never turn off. I just bought a 75 ot 100 watt CFL
equiv. at The Home Depot and its burned out allready in less than 1 week, but thats not
normal for me. These high color temp bulbs are amazing but may run hotter.

I think lamp dimmers help extend incandescents life.

The blued incadescents lamps have less Lumens output.

greg

Thanks for your valuable comments.

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Silver Surfer wrote:

Does anyone recall those power saving "discs" for light bulbs they were
selling back during the oil embargo days of the 70's. The disc was
placed
in a standard light bulb fixture and the light bulb was screwed in next.
The disc was nothing more than a diode that "saved energy" by blocking
power
to the bulb for half of each cycle.

A complete waste of time for all the reasons given by other posters.

Use CFLs or a lower wattage incandescent bulb.

Graham