Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Generator question....portable

Norminn wrote:

wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:04:33 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Wait! You mean to say your going to run it in your garage?

Was planning on it. Before you get upset, look at the critical pats
of the construction this time.

Open window, open door, roof vents and an open air fan plus garage
door open at least 6 inches (more if rain allows.)

Yup that's the way people do it ... and still die

Do you have CO detectors around the house?

A few years ago, our condo maint. people were operating a generator in
the open-air atrium of our
building. Atrium is open on four sides, with roof over it. Our AC is
at the opposite end of the building from where they worked. We had an old
CO detector, no longer used because we have no gas appliances, in a box
in the laundry room. There
was enough CO given off outside to set off our alarm inside.

I recall reading about one death in Florida because the setting
described resembled a friend's home.
Had a generator going in their screened-in outdoor room. They woke up
dead. )

CO is a bit heavier than air. If the atrium was only open at the top
the result was to be expected.