Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default renting trucks from uhaul - do any of purchase the optionalinsurance?

On Apr 1, 2:31*pm, "Rick Brandt" wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:37 am, "S. Barker" wrote:
You insure the car, not the driver. Better read it closer.

Obviously you don't have a clue here. * Vehicles don't cause
accidents, people do. *As Kurt pointed out, almost all policies cover
the policy holder for liability, regardless of who's car they happens
to be driving. * That means if I borrow someone's car and cause an
accident, my insurance company will cover me to the limits of my
policy for damage and injuries I caused to the vehicle I hit. * This
only makes sense. * You think I want to get behind the wheel of
someone else's car, say while sharing driving on a trip, have an
accident, and then find out they only have the minimal coverage and
the accident exceeds that? * Or that they let the policy lapse and
have no insurance? * I don't care about that, because MY policy
protects me.

Now, if you have collision coverage on your car, in most cases, that
coverage may not extend to another vehicle you happen to be driving.

It seems to me that the insurance industry gets to have it both ways. *It
would make sense (to most people I think) for liability coverage to follow
the driver and collision/comprehensive coverage to follow the car.

That's how it works in most cases.

BUT...if I own four cars and have collision/comprehensive coverage on NONE
of them I still have to obtain (and pay for) four policies. *Why is this the
case? *I can only be behind the wheel of one car at a time.

The insurance company assumes, with some validity, that if you have 4
cars, there are more drivers than just you and there is more
driving. I would agree that there should be a policy that only
protects one driver.

Also I was hit several years ago while borrowing my sister-in-law's car. *It
was HER insurance company that got involved, not mine. *These would seem to
indicate that the coverage follows the car, not the driver.

The key here is that YOU were hit. Had you hit a bus full of nuns,
the situation would be radically different. They could have come
after YOU and your SIL.

BUT...if a four driver household has only one vehicle they still need a
policy for each of the drivers, not just one (right?).

No, they need a policy for the one vehicle. Along the way, they will
disclose that there are 4 drivers regularly using the vehicle. The
policy will then cover the owner.

*And that seems to
indicate that the coverage follows the driver and not the car.

No.

Bottom line is that whatever situation causes the insurance company to
collect the most money seems to be the rule.- Hide quoted text -