Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default renting trucks from uhaul - do any of purchase the optionalinsurance?

A few times a year I rent a truck from uhaul to remove large items
from my house or when I need to transport something large. They charge
$15 a day for minimum insurance (covers the truck only), $30 a day
covers truck and damage to other property.
I am just wondering how many people pay the extra $$ for insurance
when renting trucks from u-haul (not for long distance moves, just 1-
day use).

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Sort-a true but usually your own vehicle has to be "temporarily unavailable"
like it's in the shop. I amnot aware of any auto policy that just straight
up covers the rental that I use one a one day basis, or maybe while on
holdays away from home or on a business trip. I'm not saying that your
personal auto policy won't cover this but you had best check with your
broker/agent first.
"Jack Bauer" wrote in message
A few times a year I rent a truck from uhaul to remove large items
from my house or when I need to transport something large. They charge
$15 a day for minimum insurance (covers the truck only), $30 a day
covers truck and damage to other property.
I am just wondering how many people pay the extra $$ for insurance
when renting trucks from u-haul (not for long distance moves, just 1-
day use).

The most important thing is to check with your regular insurance company
to make sure you are covered. Most of the better insurance companies will
insure anything you drive on a temporary basis like that.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In , wrote:
In , krw says...
In ,
says...
In , S. Barker wrote:
I never purchase any additional insurance. The people who own the
vehicle have it insured. To charge that to the renter is just a scam.

Try hitting someone or something without the optional insurance, and see
who the lawyers go after! (No, better NOT!!!)
(Fortunately, I have yet to be in that boat!)
Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental
vehicles? I suspect there is a need!

If you have personal car insurance, and they cover your use of a
rental vehicle, and you don't mind putting them on the hook if you bungle
driving the truck, then go ahead and decline the optional insurance!

Be careful renting a truck with your insurance. You *may* not be
covered. Check with your insurance company.

Personal auto policies often have a gross vehicle weight limit for
covered vehicles. My own covers smaller U-Haul-style rentals, but not
full-sized U-Haul trucks.

1. I don't see a gross vehicle registered weight limit in my policy.

2. Check out the registered gross vehicle weights of various rental
trucks. My experience is that smaller to moderate U-Haul trucks are
what I would call "fluffy". See how many of those are within whatever
weight limit your policy specifies.

3. My experience in PA is that the usual driver's license to drive cars
also allows such licensed drivers to drive trucks up to 29,000 pounds or
something like that, provided this weight does not include a trailer more
than 10,000 pounds. IIRC, that PA license also allows Pennsylvanian
drivers to drive street-legal motorbikes up to 7 horsepower.
I suspect it is at least a little common to have your insurance cover
your driving a covered rental vehicle that is in the same license
classification as "your covered auto".

Furniture is mostly air by volume, even if stuffed with pillows or
clothes. A truck filled with furniture and clothes and intended to
mainly carry such lighter-fluffier loads will weigh a lot less than one
filled with and intended to transport wholesale paper, wholesale foods,
building materials, cabinet kits in knocked-down-flat form, compacted
trash or liquids.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article zfidnUW4ZKklDGzanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@sasktel,
"Doug Brown" wrote:

Sort-a true but usually your own vehicle has to be "temporarily unavailable"
like it's in the shop. I amnot aware of any auto policy that just straight
up covers the rental that I use one a one day basis, or maybe while on
holdays away from home or on a business trip. I'm not saying that your
personal auto policy won't cover this but you had best check with your
broker/agent first.

According to my insurance agent, the policy follows me, not the
vehicle. So, whatever I am driving is covered.
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mar 31, 10:02*pm, krw wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article , S. Barker wrote:
I never purchase any additional insurance. *The people who own the vehicle
have it insured. *To charge that to the renter is just a scam.

* Try hitting someone or something without the optional insurance, and see
who the lawyers go after! *(No, better NOT!!!)

Yes, exactly. To say that because the rental company has insurance
means that the renter doesn't need any is very bad advice. If you
hit someone with a rental vehicle and it's your fault, the other party
is going to come after YOU for the cost of their damage and
injuries. And the rental company and/or their insurance company is
going to come after YOU for the cost of repairs to the rental vehicle.

Even in a private party arrangement, if I lend my car to someone and
they damage it, I have every right to make that party pay for the
repairs even if I have collision insurance that would cover it. The
concept here is simple. You lend something to someone for them to
use and they are bound to return it in the same condition it was when
they took it.

I'm not saying the insurance offered by rental companies is a good
deal. In many cases, either your own auto policy or free insurance
provided by some credit card companies when you use their card, may be
sufficient, depending on your circumstances, etc. But you better
understand your liability and what insurance coverage you have/need.
And as pointed out, I'd pay particular attention to what any existing
insurance says about trucks, gross weight, etc.

--
Keith

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

*"Doug Brown" wrote:

Sort-a true but usually your own vehicle has to be "temporarily unavailable"
like it's in the shop. *I amnot aware of any auto policy that just straight
up covers the rental that I use one a one day basis, or maybe while on
holdays away from home or on a business trip. *I'm not saying that your
personal auto policy won't cover this but you had best check with your
broker/agent first.

* * *According to my insurance agent, the policy follows me, not the
vehicle. So, whatever I am driving is covered.

I would bet that statement is untrue. For example, I highly doubt
that collision coverage on a 5 year old economy Hyundai is going to
pay for the cost of a totalled rental Lincoln Navigator.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

You insure the car, not the driver. Better read it closer.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

According to my insurance agent, the policy follows me, not the
vehicle. So, whatever I am driving is covered.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 1, 10:35*am, "S. Barker" wrote:
what if you don't own a car and thusly wouldn't have any car insurance???
do tell....

Then you better take the optional insurance offered by the rental
company, or face the prospect of being liabel for not only the value
of the rental car, but also the cost of damage to other cars,
property, medical bills, etc.

What's so hard to understand?

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

*Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental
vehicles? *I suspect there is a need!

*If you have personal car insurance, and they cover your use of a
rental vehicle, and you don't mind putting them on the hook if you bungle
driving the truck, then go ahead and decline the optional insurance!

- Don Klipstein )- Hide quoted text -

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 1, 10:37*am, "S. Barker" wrote:
You insure the car, not the driver. *Better read it closer.

Obviously you don't have a clue here. Vehicles don't cause
accidents, people do. As Kurt pointed out, almost all policies cover
the policy holder for liability, regardless of who's car they happens
to be driving. That means if I borrow someone's car and cause an
accident, my insurance company will cover me to the limits of my
policy for damage and injuries I caused to the vehicle I hit. This
only makes sense. You think I want to get behind the wheel of
someone else's car, say while sharing driving on a trip, have an
accident, and then find out they only have the minimal coverage and
the accident exceeds that? Or that they let the policy lapse and
have no insurance? I don't care about that, because MY policy
protects me.

Now, if you have collision coverage on your car, in most cases, that
coverage may not extend to another vehicle you happen to be driving.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

* * According to my insurance agent, the policy follows me, not the
vehicle. So, whatever I am driving is covered.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
[...]

It seems to me that the insurance industry gets to have it both ways. It
would make sense (to most people I think) for liability coverage to follow
the driver and collision/comprehensive coverage to follow the car.

BUT...if I own four cars and have collision/comprehensive coverage on NONE
of them I still have to obtain (and pay for) four policies. Why is this the
case? I can only be behind the wheel of one car at a time.

Also I was hit several years ago while borrowing my sister-in-law's car. It
was HER insurance company that got involved, not mine. These would seem to
indicate that the coverage follows the car, not the driver.

BUT...if a four driver household has only one vehicle they still need a
policy for each of the drivers, not just one (right?). And that seems to
indicate that the coverage follows the driver and not the car.

Bottom line is that whatever situation causes the insurance company to
collect the most money seems to be the rule.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 1, 2:31*pm, "Rick Brandt" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's how it works in most cases.

BUT...if I own four cars and have collision/comprehensive coverage on NONE
of them I still have to obtain (and pay for) four policies. *Why is this the
case? *I can only be behind the wheel of one car at a time.

The insurance company assumes, with some validity, that if you have 4
cars, there are more drivers than just you and there is more
driving. I would agree that there should be a policy that only
protects one driver.

Also I was hit several years ago while borrowing my sister-in-law's car. *It
was HER insurance company that got involved, not mine. *These would seem to
indicate that the coverage follows the car, not the driver.

The key here is that YOU were hit. Had you hit a bus full of nuns,
the situation would be radically different. They could have come
after YOU and your SIL.

BUT...if a four driver household has only one vehicle they still need a
policy for each of the drivers, not just one (right?).

No, they need a policy for the one vehicle. Along the way, they will
disclose that there are 4 drivers regularly using the vehicle. The
policy will then cover the owner.

*And that seems to
indicate that the coverage follows the driver and not the car.

No.

Bottom line is that whatever situation causes the insurance company to
collect the most money seems to be the rule.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
No Name

In article 17384963-e8ae-47bd-8c66-cc46fec967c2
@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com, says...

BUT...if I own four cars and have collision/comprehensive coverage on NONE=

of them I still have to obtain (and pay for) four policies. =A0Why is this=

the
case? =A0I can only be behind the wheel of one car at a time.

The insurance company assumes, with some validity, that if you have 4
cars, there are more drivers than just you and there is more
driving. I would agree that there should be a policy that only
protects one driver.

There are many options available for this.

From most companies, you can insure all four vehicles, rate one of them
as the one you drive regularly, and insure the other three at reduced
rates as rarely-driven vehicles.

Some companies will allow you to keep liability coverage on just one
vehicle, and keep the others "laid up," not in use, and put liability
coverage on them only when you're actually using them. The liability
rate is higher per day, but you only pay for it when you're using it.

Some specialty insurers do have liability-only coverage that follows the
driver in any owned or non-owned vehicle.

BUT...if a four driver household has only one vehicle they still need a
policy for each of the drivers, not just one (right?).

No, they need a policy for the one vehicle. Along the way, they will
disclose that there are 4 drivers regularly using the vehicle. The
policy will then cover the owner.

If the four drivers are all disclosed to the insurance company, and are
all rated on the vehicle, then the policy can be written to cover all
four of the drivers, not just the owner. The four drivers will have
liability coverage when they drive other vehicles, too, *except*,
generally, vehicles they have regular access to. (In other words, if
you borrow your friend's car occasionally, you're generally covered. If
your friend lets you borrow the car for six months and keep it parked at
your house, you should check with your agent about getting non-owner
coverage on that car.)

Disclaimer: I am not your insurance agent, I haven'r read your policy,
coverage varies by company, policy, state, etc.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
says...
In ,
wrote:
In , krw says...
In ,
says...
In , S. Barker wrote:
[...]

Exactly. When I last checked, I believe my insurance covered up to
10Klbs, GVW. IIRC, U-Hauls go up to 16K (I believe a CDL is
required after that).

1. I don't see a gross vehicle registered weight limit in my policy.

Which is why I said to check. Some do.

2. Check out the registered gross vehicle weights of various rental
trucks. My experience is that smaller to moderate U-Haul trucks are
what I would call "fluffy". See how many of those are within whatever
weight limit your policy specifies.

Fluffy?

[...]

U-Hauls aren't designed to carry pig-iron either. ;-) My last move
(11/'07) was about 10Klbs, about the same size as the largest
U-Haul.

--
Keith
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Not hard at all. If i loan my car to someone, then MY insurance covers the
car and the liability. Same with the rental car co. THEIR car, THEIR
insurance.

duh.

wrote in message

What's so hard to understand?

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In , Rick Brandt wrote:
wrote:
[...]

My experience indicates that what is required in this case is a single
policy with a higher rate for having extra drivers in the household.

Bottom line is that whatever situation causes the insurance company to
collect the most money seems to be the rule.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote

A few times a year I rent a truck from uhaul to remove large items
from my house or when I need to transport something large. They charge
$15 a day for minimum insurance (covers the truck only), $30 a day
covers truck and damage to other property.
I am just wondering how many people pay the extra $$ for insurance
when renting trucks from u-haul (not for long distance moves, just 1-
day use).

Oddly enough I did just that last week, rented a truck to move
some stuff my car can't. I was surprised at how much this place
wanted for insurance so I didn't spring for it. I know from earlier
experience that my insurance does not cover rental trucks, just
cars.

Needless to say, being uninsured, I ran my errands and got rid of
that truck as soon as I could.

This place wanted $40 for the day, a blatant ripoff. A different
place I used last year was $10 and I thought that was fair.

I'm not offering advice either way. I took a chance and got away
with it.

nancy

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , S. Barker wrote:
what if you don't own a car and thusly wouldn't have any car insurance???
do tell....

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental
vehicles? I suspect there is a need!

If you hit anyone/anything and you have any assets other than the money
that you are spending to rent the truck, the injured person or owner of
injured property can sue you for it. If you have assets less than such
damage, you can hypothetically be forced into bankruptcy.

If you don't have personal auto coverage that covers liability while
driving the rental truck, if I were you I would buy optional insurance
sufficient to cover at least a boggled parking maneuver, and a fender
bender can easily cause a $3,000-plus repair bill even for a cheaper car -
let alone a Lexus, BMW, Audi... And a truck can cause damage worse than
"fender bender" to a car even at less than 5 MPH. In addition, the owner
of the dented car may also sue for cost of a rental car to use while the
dented car is in the shop.

If your personal auto policy covers your liability while driving a
rental truck, be sure to carry your insurance card. If not, make sure
you know what document shows liability coverage - you will need that if
you hit anyone or anything, or get pulled over by the police for anything
- such as failure to signal a turn, violating a truck restriction,
speeding or misinterpreting an officially authorized person directing
traffic.

- Don Klipstein )

Buy or Sell your Used Construction Equipment; ie. excavators, backhoes, dozers, graders, cranes, compactors, dump trucks, heavy trucks, forestry equipment, farming equipment, mining equipment and much more.... Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 03:27 PM
OT Renting a car mm Home Repair 57 May 8th 07 02:47 PM
Want to buy or sell Backhoes, Excavators, Dozers, Graders, Cranes, Loaders, Heavy Trucks, Dump Trucks, Forestry, Mining, Farming, Construction Equipment with major name brands such as; Cat, Deere, Case, JCB, Komatsu, Kobelco, Timberjack, Timbco, Bobc Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 6th 07 03:04 AM
tuff trucks Uriahheep Woodworking 5 June 25th 06 12:36 PM