Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default renting trucks from uhaul - do any of purchase the optionalinsurance?

On Mar 31, 10:02*pm, krw wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article , S. Barker wrote:
I never purchase any additional insurance. *The people who own the vehicle
have it insured. *To charge that to the renter is just a scam.

* Try hitting someone or something without the optional insurance, and see
who the lawyers go after! *(No, better NOT!!!)

Yes, exactly. To say that because the rental company has insurance
means that the renter doesn't need any is very bad advice. If you
hit someone with a rental vehicle and it's your fault, the other party
is going to come after YOU for the cost of their damage and
injuries. And the rental company and/or their insurance company is
going to come after YOU for the cost of repairs to the rental vehicle.

Even in a private party arrangement, if I lend my car to someone and
they damage it, I have every right to make that party pay for the
repairs even if I have collision insurance that would cover it. The
concept here is simple. You lend something to someone for them to
use and they are bound to return it in the same condition it was when
they took it.

I'm not saying the insurance offered by rental companies is a good
deal. In many cases, either your own auto policy or free insurance
provided by some credit card companies when you use their card, may be
sufficient, depending on your circumstances, etc. But you better
understand your liability and what insurance coverage you have/need.
And as pointed out, I'd pay particular attention to what any existing
insurance says about trucks, gross weight, etc.

* (Fortunately, I have yet to be in that boat!)

* Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental
vehicles? *I suspect there is a need!

* If you have personal car insurance, and they cover your use of a
rental vehicle, and you don't mind putting them on the hook if you bungle
driving the truck, then go ahead and decline the optional insurance!

Be careful renting a truck with your insurance. *You *may* not be
covered. *Check with your insurance company.

--
Keith