Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Using generic power adapter for Wi-Fi accesspoint

jakdedert wrote:
Probably going to work okay, but I'd be more comfortable if it was a 5
volt unit. That's a 20% overvoltage, but likely there is voltage
regulation within the router, and tolerances on power supplies is not
all that tight anyway.

It depends. Some things don't seem to care, 5 volts or 6 volts or even
8 or 9 (not recommended) work e.g. EdiMax and D-Link routers I have.
Other things will work with only 5 volts e.g. a Linksys PAP2 I have.

The Linksys simply will not turn on if the voltage is too high. :-(

Geoff.