Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default renting trucks from uhaul - do any of purchase the optional insurance?

In , wrote:
In , krw says...
In ,
says...
In , S. Barker wrote:
I never purchase any additional insurance. The people who own the
vehicle have it insured. To charge that to the renter is just a scam.

Try hitting someone or something without the optional insurance, and see
who the lawyers go after! (No, better NOT!!!)
(Fortunately, I have yet to be in that boat!)
Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental
vehicles? I suspect there is a need!

If you have personal car insurance, and they cover your use of a
rental vehicle, and you don't mind putting them on the hook if you bungle
driving the truck, then go ahead and decline the optional insurance!

Be careful renting a truck with your insurance. You *may* not be
covered. Check with your insurance company.

Personal auto policies often have a gross vehicle weight limit for
covered vehicles. My own covers smaller U-Haul-style rentals, but not
full-sized U-Haul trucks.

1. I don't see a gross vehicle registered weight limit in my policy.

2. Check out the registered gross vehicle weights of various rental
trucks. My experience is that smaller to moderate U-Haul trucks are
what I would call "fluffy". See how many of those are within whatever
weight limit your policy specifies.

3. My experience in PA is that the usual driver's license to drive cars
also allows such licensed drivers to drive trucks up to 29,000 pounds or
something like that, provided this weight does not include a trailer more
than 10,000 pounds. IIRC, that PA license also allows Pennsylvanian
drivers to drive street-legal motorbikes up to 7 horsepower.
I suspect it is at least a little common to have your insurance cover
your driving a covered rental vehicle that is in the same license
classification as "your covered auto".

Furniture is mostly air by volume, even if stuffed with pillows or
clothes. A truck filled with furniture and clothes and intended to
mainly carry such lighter-fluffier loads will weigh a lot less than one
filled with and intended to transport wholesale paper, wholesale foods,
building materials, cabinet kits in knocked-down-flat form, compacted
trash or liquids.

- Don Klipstein )