Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann Jay Stootzmann is offline

Default Waist more Energy Water tank temp set to High? Natural gas.

Yes you'll save though it will be less than if your take is a a high
efficiency [at least 2" insulated walls].

I don't remember the exact % but in my own case with a 40 gal high
efficiency tank it was worth it to put it on a lower temp setting. [I live
in central Illinois]

All of my home hot water pipes are also insulated.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"lbbss" wrote in message
Just curious if there have been any studies or experiments on energy
used by a water tank set to high, compared to medium. I am just
trying to get a feel, if its worth keeping it at medium, to save on
the heating bill. If it's a matter of $50 more per year in heating,
that is not a big deal. I know that no one can tell me a dollar
about, for our place of living (Ontario Canada), but maybe a percent
savings would be useful information.

Insulating the tank, I doubt would help much. It already has
insulation inside, and it does not even feel warm to the touch of my
hand. Thanks.

p.s. we have Natural gas heated.

There are a couple of factors to consider. First, you have to realize heat
is always moving to a cooler place. The greater the temperature
differential, the faster it moves so increasing the temperature will move
the heat more.

Next, is it really waste? If the water heater is in the garage or outdoor
shed, the heat may be wasted. Since the heater is in your house, as long
as you are heating the house anyway, no heat is wasted. It is just one
source that adds heat, right along with your furnace, cooking range, light
bulbs, etc. OTOH, in the summer if you are paying to cool the house, it
is a waste.

Next consideration is personal comfort and how you use the water. Some
codes have a maximum temperature so as to prevent scalding. This is
especially helpful with young children or the elderly but you can also put
anti-scald devices in the shower. Keeping the water hotter means you
blend in less taking a shower so more is save for the next person or three
behind you. Dishwashers tend to work better with hotter water also and
most have boosters for that reason.

I can't give a good guess at cost differences, but I keep mine where I
like the temperature to be.