Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Using generic power adapter for Wi-Fi accesspoint

Jonas wrote:
Hi guys,

My Wi-Fi access point (D-Link DWL-700AP) ceased to work, but I found
out what the problem was. The power adapter is dead. However, in my
junkpile I managed to find a generic power adapter from some old
appliance, and it seems to work with the access point.

Now, I have a question: Is it safe to use the generic one? I am afraid
of burning down my house or something like that.

The original adapter for the access point (now dead) said:
Input: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz 0.5A
Output: 5V 2A

The "new" one (don't know where I got it from) reads:
Input: 230V ~ 50 Hz 140 mA
Output: 6V 2.1A

(We have 230V 50Hz here in Denmark where I live)

Thanks,

Kind Regards, Jonas

Probably going to work okay, but I'd be more comfortable if it was a 5
volt unit. That's a 20% overvoltage, but likely there is voltage
regulation within the router, and tolerances on power supplies is not
all that tight anyway.

jak