Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Generator question....portable

"Eric" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Grin, slight confusion on our end is one of the reasons we havent gotten
one
yet. Our electrical box is opposite end of the house from where the
garage
is (which with an open window is the optimal place for the generator).

Ventilation of the garage isnt a problem. I also can open the door to
the
screened porch off of it and it has one of those attic fans that work by
mere hot air rising (small but adequate for it's location). That was
however my first concern.

Wait! You mean to say your going to run it in your garage?

Was planning on it. Before you get upset, look at the critical pats of the
construction this time.

Open window, open door, roof vents and an open air fan plus garage door open
at least 6 inches (more if rain allows.)

Surely you dont mean that...
That foolishness kills someone EVERY year around here.
I dont know which is worse, backfeeding or running a generator in your
garage.
Probably the winner is running it in the garage and killing your family
via
carbon monoxide poisoning.

Read the conditions first please. This isnt an enclosed airtight garage.
In fact, it is designed that way because of the gas furnace unit.

Once the rain passes, it can go on the back screened porch.

If it helps, we had a free estimate done for an installed unit and asked
about this. The installed unit was more than we wanted to pay (about
1,500$). With the back door to the porch open (shielded from the rain) and
the side window, major draft. Opening the garage door 6 inches up,
windstorm in there.