Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving a refrigerator

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Terry wrote:
I plan to buy a new refrigerator. I then want to take my old one to
give to a relative.

Is it bad to lay it over in the bed of the truck, or should I try to
move it standing?

I don't really have anywhere to load or unload it upright. I will
almost have to lay it on it's side to get it in the truck.

If you have a pickup, take the cap off. If you HAVE to haul horizontally,
set it upright for 24 hours before powering it back up, so everything can
drain down back where it belongs. Borrow or rent a refrigerator dolley
with the big belt and ratchet thing on it, it makes it a lot easier. Do
NOT load into truck by setting it behind tailgate and pushing it over-
like a cheap file cabinet, it will kink in the middle. If it is strapped
to dolley, you can lay it in there on the dolley, like a person on an
ambulance gurney. The dolley has little 'tank tread' things on the back,
to ease it over steps and truck tailgates, but a sloped driveway and a
couple of planks can help a lot. Otherwise, you need a real he-man for the
dead-lift part.

By the way, this is a 2 man job. I have done it by myself, but I was a lot
younger and stronger then, and it still hurt.

If the are delivering new frig in place (usually required for warranty),
ask the store how much more it would be to have their guys drop the old
one off at your relative's place, if they are local. If they say $50 or
less, jump on it. Seriously.

--
aem sends...

If he doesn't want to remove the cap, he could rent a pickup. I've seen them
at Home Depot for a pretty reasonable price.