Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving a refrigerator

On Mar 29, 9:34*pm, Terry wrote:
I plan to buy a new refrigerator. *I then want to take my old one to
give to a relative.

Is it bad to lay it over in the bed of the truck, or should I try to
move it standing?

I don't really have anywhere to load or unload it upright. *I will
almost have to lay it on it's side to get it in the truck.

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...rator/move.php

Can I Lay the Refrigerator on its Side?

Avoid laying a refrigerator on its side. The oil in the compressor can
flow into the cooling lines when the refrigerator is tipped onto its
side. When returned to an upright position, there is a risk that the
oil will not completely drain from the cooling lines and the
refrigerator will not cool.

If you have to lay the fridge over, try to avoid laying it completely
flat. Instead tip it to an angle by placing a box under the top of the
fridge; this will help to keep the oil in the compressor. Also, there
are several lines connected to the compressor. The cooling and
discharge lines should be oriented to face up. You must keep the oil
out of these lines. Laying the refrigerator over with the tubes facing
up will minimize the risk of fouling the lines.

When you have the refrigerator in place at its destination, leave it
upright for a few hours before plugging it in. This will give the oil
an opportunity to flow back into the compressor. After plugging it in,
it is not unusual for the fridge to take up to 72 hours to return to
its low temperatures, especially if the fridge is empty.

If after all your effort the refrigerator won't cool, your
refrigerator may be in its defrost cycle, so be patient, about 6
hours, for the cycle to complete. Otherwise, there may be oil in the
lines. In that case, you will need professional repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I plan to buy a new refrigerator. I then want to take my old one to
give to a relative.

Is it bad to lay it over in the bed of the truck, or should I try to
move it standing?

I don't really have anywhere to load or unload it upright. I will
almost have to lay it on it's side to get it in the truck.

If you have a pickup, take the cap off. If you HAVE to haul
horizontally, set it upright for 24 hours before powering it back up, so
everything can drain down back where it belongs. Borrow or rent a
refrigerator dolley with the big belt and ratchet thing on it, it makes
it a lot easier. Do NOT load into truck by setting it behind tailgate
and pushing it over- like a cheap file cabinet, it will kink in the
middle. If it is strapped to dolley, you can lay it in there on the
dolley, like a person on an ambulance gurney. The dolley has little
'tank tread' things on the back, to ease it over steps and truck
tailgates, but a sloped driveway and a couple of planks can help a lot.
Otherwise, you need a real he-man for the dead-lift part.

By the way, this is a 2 man job. I have done it by myself, but I was a
lot younger and stronger then, and it still hurt.

If the are delivering new frig in place (usually required for warranty),
ask the store how much more it would be to have their guys drop the old
one off at your relative's place, if they are local. If they say $50 or
less, jump on it. Seriously.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Terry wrote:
[...]

If he doesn't want to remove the cap, he could rent a pickup. I've seen them
at Home Depot for a pretty reasonable price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:

I plan to buy a new refrigerator. I then want to take my old one to
give to a relative.

Is it bad to lay it over in the bed of the truck, or should I try to
move it standing?

I don't really have anywhere to load or unload it upright. I will
almost have to lay it on it's side to get it in the truck.

It's perfectly fine to lay it down horizontally, generally back down for
most. You do have to let it sit upright for some time, at least 4 hours,
preferably overnight before repowering it. The actual issue with laying
it down is that the oil that is in the compressor can flow out into the
refrigerant lines where it will effectively form a clog as well as not
being in place to lube the compressor if the compressor is powered.
Letting the unit sit upright again allows the oil to flow back into the
compressor where it belongs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Terry wrote:
I plan to buy a new refrigerator. I then want to take my old one to
give to a relative.

(snip)
If the are delivering new frig in place (usually required for warranty),
ask the store how much more it would be to have their guys drop the old
one off at your relative's place, if they are local. If they say $50 or
less, jump on it. Seriously.

--
aem sends...

If he doesn't want to remove the cap, he could rent a pickup. I've seen them
at Home Depot for a pretty reasonable price.

IIRC, that truck is only available if you buy a load of material there.
Hey, it is cheaper for them than having their guy and their truck to
small deliveries.

--
aem sends...