Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Wind fencing

Poplar trees grow pretty fast, and do well grouped in a row of they will
grow in your climate.

For something quicker, a chain link fence with slats in the chain link is
cheap strong and easy. be sure to use longer poles and a bit more concrete.
To improve the aesthetics you can plant something that will climb and create
a solid green wall.

As for structures, look to the building codes in the really windy places for
guidance. As I understand the principles, you need to make connections that
rely on mechanical fastening more than gravity so that when you get lift,
you have enough resistance to overcome the force.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I live where it gets very windy sometimes. I am looking for ways to break
the wind, and to create air movement up and over some areas. I've been
reading all sorts of things, and gathering information on principles,
basics, and design.

Has anyone ever build any wind deflection fencing or structures, and how

did
it work out?

And for carport structures, and lean to attached sun shades made of
corrugated metal, what can you do to reduce lift on a 300-400 square foot
structure? Break it into two surfaces on the horizontal plane, one a foot
higher than the other to provide a high pressure relief area?

I'm going to make this with three 1800# column support concrete piers, but
the wind where I live gets bodacious at times, and I'd like to overbuild
just for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

Steve