Luigi Zanasi

Default Dust and Noise

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:48:59 GMT, Steve Knight
scribbled

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:46:58 -0700, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Ceiling:
Stuffed the cavity between the joists with fiberglass insulation (and
I mean stuffed, packed in tight)

this is a mistake. air space is the best thing you can have to help stop sound.
dead air space is very effective.

Hi Steve,

I hate to disagree with you, but you might want to refer to any number
of research studies, reports and manuals on this issue, for example
from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (Kanuckistan's
equivalent to HUD):

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati...h/2000-109.htm

Note the sentence (under "Findings"):

"Performance can be improved by increasing the thickness and density
of the insulation."

or:
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati...tech/96224.htm
or:
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati...tech/90246.htm

I did get my information from reputable sources (like CMHC manuals)
and from building inspectors I was working with when I built the
office.

BTW, I think I got the plane today. I got a parcel notice & I'll go
pick it up tomorrow. Thanks.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address