Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default sci.electronics.repair Spam.

JeffM wrote in news:0b199f39-87ad-4a5d-bfd5-099d2be210c9
@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]I am unable to use the aoie.org public news server[...]
[...]sci.electronics.repair: Banlist."

JeffM wrote:
[...]forgeries[...]from one aoie.org user[...]

The guy that admins that domain got many complaints
--but didn't terminate **the spammer's** access.
It appears *this* is what he did instead.

bz wrote:
Perhaps this is all he could do.
Perhaps aioe doesn't require users to register.
Perhaps the forger kept re-registering.

For 2 computers to communicate
they must identify themselves by IP adddress.

Of course. However IP addresses can be changed. If one 'owns' a block of
addresses, one can hop around within the block.
If one's ISP issues IP addresses via DHCP, releasing the current IP address
will often get you a new address from the pool.
If one is using dial up, dropping connection and redialing will usually get
a new IP address.

The IP address is NOT a foolproof way of blocking.
The botnet epidemic is a response to attempts to curb spamming by
blocklisting.

An admin can simply configure a server
to refuse to acknowledge a computer with a rogue IP address.

That assumes that the admin knows how and has the desire. However, even
that fails if the miscreant finds an open proxy and routes through it.

I didn't say that aioe did all that could have been done, just that he may
have done ALL _HE_ could do.

In any case, it certainly made the problem go away and as aioe is HIS
property, how he chooses to make the problem go away is his choice.
If you don't like how he runs his service, don't use it.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap