Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Story about home power tools

"mm" wrote in message
Even if one doesn't like B&D now, my post was meant as a bit of
history about power tools. Apparently they were the first??? to sell
to consumers. Of course if they hadn't done it someone else would
have eventually, but that's true of lots of history.

And I thought the reason was interesting.

It was.

Yet, like in lots of groups on lots of topics, every time someone
mentions B&D, someone else has to say how bad they are now. There
are far more people who want cheap tools rather than great ones and
someone is going to make them for them. And someone will make the
great ones. That's called free enterprise and the market system.

I don't buy or use cheap tools. OK, I'm a tool snob. They do, however, have
a place. Many homeowners use a drill once or twice a year and they don't
need a heavy duty high quality brand. A few weeks ago I bought a 12V Ryobi
cordless drill kit for $49. The purpose was to complete a certain job and I
know later it will be abused and eventually lost or damaged. The job is now
done and the drill is still intact so anything we get from it now is a
bonus.