Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Story about home power tools

Heard on the radio just now -- heard it before too -- that there was a
big influx into Baltimore of workers from West Virginia and Virginia
and Carolina during the war and maybe other times, and Black and
Decker used to rent power tools to the shipyard(s?) here. According
to someone quoting Mr. Decker, he noticed -- didn't say exactly when
-- that people were taking the tools home and bringing them back, and
he asked them why, and was told "I can get so much done with these
things at home." And after that, Black and Decker started selling the
tools through hardware stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:35�pm, mm wrote:
Heard on the radio just now -- heard it before too -- that there was a
big influx into Baltimore of workers from West Virginia and Virginia
and Carolina during the war and maybe other times, and Black and
Decker used to rent power tools to the shipyard(s?) here. �According
to someone quoting Mr. Decker, he noticed -- didn't say exactly when
-- that people were taking the tools home and bringing them back, and
he asked them why, and was told "I can get so much done with these
things at home." �And after that, Black and Decker started selling the
tools through hardware stores.

sad they cut to junk quality, B&D is known as disposable tools
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 8:36 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:35�pm, mm wrote:

Heard on the radio just now -- heard it before too -- that there was a
big influx into Baltimore of workers from West Virginia and Virginia
and Carolina during the war and maybe other times, and Black and
Decker used to rent power tools to the shipyard(s?) here. �According
to someone quoting Mr. Decker, he noticed -- didn't say exactly when
-- that people were taking the tools home and bringing them back, and
he asked them why, and was told "I can get so much done with these
things at home." �And after that, Black and Decker started selling the
tools through hardware stores.

sad they cut to junk quality, B&D is known as disposable tools

Yes it is sad. They took the B&D brand name and used it to sell
garbage to make the most profit in the short term. If the B&D brand
is on ANY quality tools anymore I haven't heard of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" :
mm :
Heard on the radio just now -- heard it before too -- that there
was a big influx into Baltimore of workers from West Virginia and
Virginia and Carolina during the war and maybe other times, and
Black and Decker used to rent power tools to the shipyard(s?)
here. ?According to someone quoting Mr. Decker, he noticed --
didn't say exactly when -- that people were taking the tools home
and bringing them back, and he asked them why, and was told "I can
get so much done with these things at home." ?And after that,
Black and Decker started selling the tools through hardware stores.

sad they cut to junk quality, B&D is known as disposable tools

B&D has various grades of tools as do many other manufacturers. I
have a B&D *industrial* 3/8" drill that has had much use for the last
20 years. I also have a B&D 7/8 HP router - the antecedant of the
Dewalt 610 - that has been used even more over almost 40 years. I
replaced its bearings about 10 years ago.

But that is exactly the point, isn't it. Your excellent stuff is really old
and not the current stuff.
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote:
On Mar 24, 8:36 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:35�pm, mm wrote:

Heard on the radio just now -- heard it before too -- that there was a
big influx into Baltimore of workers from West Virginia and Virginia
and Carolina during the war and maybe other times, and Black and
Decker used to rent power tools to the shipyard(s?) here. �According
to someone quoting Mr. Decker, he noticed -- didn't say exactly when
-- that people were taking the tools home and bringing them back, and
he asked them why, and was told "I can get so much done with these
things at home." �And after that, Black and Decker started selling the
tools through hardware stores.

sad they cut to junk quality, B&D is known as disposable tools

Yes it is sad. They took the B&D brand name and used it to sell
garbage to make the most profit in the short term. If the B&D brand
is on ANY quality tools anymore I haven't heard of them.

Or it might be said they they responded to the big box cheap, cheap,
cheap is all that matters syndrome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tomes wrote:
"dadiOH" :
mm :
[...]

OP said B&G started retailing during "the war" (presumably, WW2) and
the person to whom I posted said it was a shame they diminished the
quality (presumably, when they started retailing). I was pointing out
that was not the case at least as recently as 20 years ago, probably
less. Besides, they still make the good stuff, just marketed under
different names...DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Delta...

The Dewalt 610 router was exactly same as my ancient B&D except it
could use 1/2" collets, was a bit more powerful and had a tab over
part of the power switch. I'd love to find a motor unit from one.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote in
:

On Mar 24, 8:36 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:35�pm, mm wrote:

[...]

Are you kidding? Just go to WalMart. They have all the B&D stuff! :-)

Regarding old B&D, I have this 7 1/4 circ saw I bought in 1981. It just
won't die. You can hear the bearings rattle even. It started doing that a
year ago. Never put brushes in it. Can you imagine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

B&D has various grades of tools as do many other manufacturers. I
have a B&D *industrial* 3/8" drill that has had much use for the last
20 years. I also have a B&D 7/8 HP router - the antecedant of the
Dewalt 610 - that has been used even more over almost 40 years. I
replaced its bearings about 10 years ago.

HAD, not has. All B & D is low end stuff for the once a year user. No more
pro tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:47:28 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Tomes wrote:
"dadiOH" :
mm :
[...]

Right, the big one, W W 2. I should have said that.

the person to whom I posted said it was a shame they diminished the
quality (presumably, when they started retailing). I was pointing out
that was not the case at least as recently as 20 years ago, probably
less. Besides, they still make the good stuff, just marketed under
different names...DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Delta...

The Dewalt 610 router was exactly same as my ancient B&D except it
could use 1/2" collets, was a bit more powerful and had a tab over
part of the power switch. I'd love to find a motor unit from one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:47:28 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Tomes wrote:
"dadiOH" :
mm :
[...]

Even if one doesn't like B&D now, my post was meant as a bit of
history about power tools. Apparently they were the first??? to sell
to consumers. Of course if they hadn't done it someone else would
have eventually, but that's true of lots of history.

And I thought the reason was interesting.

Yet, like in lots of groups on lots of topics, every time someone
mentions B&D, someone else has to say how bad they are now. There
are far more people who want cheap tools rather than great ones and
someone is going to make them for them. And someone will make the
great ones. That's called free enterprise and the market system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Even if one doesn't like B&D now, my post was meant as a bit of
history about power tools. Apparently they were the first??? to sell
to consumers. Of course if they hadn't done it someone else would
have eventually, but that's true of lots of history.

And I thought the reason was interesting.

It was.

Yet, like in lots of groups on lots of topics, every time someone
mentions B&D, someone else has to say how bad they are now. There
are far more people who want cheap tools rather than great ones and
someone is going to make them for them. And someone will make the
great ones. That's called free enterprise and the market system.

I don't buy or use cheap tools. OK, I'm a tool snob. They do, however, have
a place. Many homeowners use a drill once or twice a year and they don't
need a heavy duty high quality brand. A few weeks ago I bought a 12V Ryobi
cordless drill kit for $49. The purpose was to complete a certain job and I
know later it will be abused and eventually lost or damaged. The job is now
done and the drill is still intact so anything we get from it now is a
bonus.