Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default suitable replacement for anchor bolts?

I need to replace the sill plate in my house so I figure out how I am
going to lift/support everything while I remove & replace. Then like
a good law-abiding citizen I call the building inspector and ask about
the paperwork requirements. He asks me about the job I intend to do
and I explain it and he tells me I need 2 copies of the plan, a
completed permit application and also mentions anchor bolts are
required. I explain that as far as I can tell there are no existing
bolts on the damaged sill plate. No matter, a repair to a structure
requires it is brought up to code.

I do some googling, talk to the guys at 84 Lumber, and submit my
paperwork planning to use Simpson UFPs in place of the anchor bolts.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/UFP.asp
A few day later I get a call that my application is rejected because
the Simpson UFP is only rated for installation in a concrete
foundation not in concrete block even if the top course is grout-
filled (which is what I have). I tell the inspector that the joists
are only 2x8s so by the time I get right-angle drill in there I'll
have no room for a drill bit. He says all I can tell you is the code
requires '7" imbedment of 1/2" bolts within 12" of the end of a board
and spaced no more than every 6 feet'.

I ask him what have other people used in the past and he tells me he
is not allowed to recommend products and I should call around to
different manufacturers. Fair enough, I call Simpson, KC Metal
Products, USP Connectors and Red Head; none of them could reccomend a
product to me other than 1/2 bolts that can be screwed in to the depth
required. Does me no good I can't drill a hole that deep and even if
I could I couldn't get the bolt in.
~7 1/2"vertical clearance - 1 1/2" for the sill means the most I could
go is 6" deep.

I call the DCA in NJ (dept. in charge of code compliance) and talk to
the head engineer. He starts telling me about the 7" imbedment of
1/2' bolts etc. I ask him for some guidance and he tells me it is
incumbent on me to submit a plan that meets or exceeds the anchor bolt
specs. Of course my question is "What are the specs for the anchor
bolts"? He starts again with the 7" imbedment, I interupt and ask him
what the pullout rating and the shear strength of those 7" bolts is.
He tells me he doesn't have that information. WTF! How am I
supposed to find a product that meets or exceeds the specs when he
can't tell me the specs?

NJ didn't write their building code, they just adopted the ICC and
made a few modifications to suit a few jerk-off politicians/slumlords
in Trenton so I call the ICC. I get the same speech about the code
requires 7" bolts... Again, he can't give the specs for anchor bolts
just that they need to be 1/2" bolts imbedded 7".

I can't be the only idiot that had termite damage to a house with 2x8
floor joists but I may be the only idiot that tried to get a permit to
fix the damage.

Please tell me there is somebody out there in cyberspace that knows of
a product or method that can be used to retrofit anchor bolts in
limited clearance situations and will meet code...