Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default Need info on water filled dryer filter boxes

Joy wrote:

Can I get a little info on those water dryer filters for people who
cannot vent their dryer to the outside?

Keep in mind that they are for use in electric driers only. Due to CO2 gas
driers must vent to the outside air.

I used one in an apartment once. I didn't like it much. I got it at one of
the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal-Mart), I don't recall which
one. It looked just like the one in the link that Bob F posted in this
thread.

What ended up working for me was just putting a hair net over the end of
the vent hose. It was the fiber type of hair net, not the fish net type.
The hair net caught more lint than the water trap, although it did have to
be replaced every few loads. If you can't get a hold of a hair net, ladies
pantyhose would probably work just as well.

In the winter it was free heat, but all the moisture did tend to fog the
windows badly. In the summer, it would probably be more economical to buy
enough vent hose to reach the nearest window. If you didn't, you'd be
paying to air condition your drier exhaust.

In winter, I'd vent the drier out the window for the first 10 to 15
minutes. Otherwise, it puts too much humidity in the apartment. Then I'd
pull the hose out of the window and use the remainder of the dry time as
free heat and for a moderate increase of moisture to the dry winter air.

Here's a little drawing I made so you know what I'm talking about.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/dfilter.jpg

Any other comments?

Nice drawing.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.