Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Need info on water filled dryer filter boxes

Can I get a little info on those water dryer filters for people who
cannot vent their dryer to the outside?

I must be using the wrong search words because I can't find out much
about these.

Here's a little drawing I made so you know what I'm talking about.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/dfilter.jpg

The dryer vents into a box with some water in it and the exhaust then
exits through slots in the top of the box.

How much water should go in the box?
What exactly is this supposed to do?
How well does this work to trap lint not trapped by the dryer lint filter?
Is there something better to use?

Any other comments?

Thanks!

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joy" wrote in message
news
Can I get a little info on those water dryer filters for people who
cannot vent their dryer to the outside?

I must be using the wrong search words because I can't find out much
about these.

Here's a little drawing I made so you know what I'm talking about.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/dfilter.jpg

The dryer vents into a box with some water in it and the exhaust then
exits through slots in the top of the box.

How much water should go in the box?
What exactly is this supposed to do?
How well does this work to trap lint not trapped by the dryer lint filter?
Is there something better to use?

From the discussion a few topics ago.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...ryer-vent.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joy wrote:

Can I get a little info on those water dryer filters for people who
cannot vent their dryer to the outside?

Keep in mind that they are for use in electric driers only. Due to CO2 gas
driers must vent to the outside air.

I used one in an apartment once. I didn't like it much. I got it at one of
the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal-Mart), I don't recall which
one. It looked just like the one in the link that Bob F posted in this
thread.

What ended up working for me was just putting a hair net over the end of
the vent hose. It was the fiber type of hair net, not the fish net type.
The hair net caught more lint than the water trap, although it did have to
be replaced every few loads. If you can't get a hold of a hair net, ladies
pantyhose would probably work just as well.

In the winter it was free heat, but all the moisture did tend to fog the
windows badly. In the summer, it would probably be more economical to buy
enough vent hose to reach the nearest window. If you didn't, you'd be
paying to air condition your drier exhaust.

In winter, I'd vent the drier out the window for the first 10 to 15
minutes. Otherwise, it puts too much humidity in the apartment. Then I'd
pull the hose out of the window and use the remainder of the dry time as
free heat and for a moderate increase of moisture to the dry winter air.

Here's a little drawing I made so you know what I'm talking about.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/dfilter.jpg

Any other comments?

Nice drawing.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:19:04 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

Joy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the benefit of your experiences!
This is what came with the dryer in my in-laws condo.
Good idea about venting out the window, but the nearest window is not
close and they would not be able to do what you suggest.

I'll have to give some thought to a real filter like you suggest since, I,
too, am concerned about all the extra humidity. Who needs the extra water
vapor this thing adds?

I still don't know how much water they are supposed to put in that thing.
I can go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the directions if I can find
one unless you remember.

Thanks! I did the drawing with Google Sketchup.
I'm REALLY rusty with it but it's one amazing drawing tool.

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joy wrote:
Thanks for the benefit of your experiences! This is what came with the
dryer in my in-laws condo. Good idea about venting out the window, but
the nearest window is not close and they would not be able to do what
you suggest.

How far from the drier is the nearest window?

I'll have to give some thought to a real filter like you suggest since,
I, too, am concerned about all the extra humidity. Who needs the extra
water vapor this thing adds?

It will add a lot of heat and humidity. Think about how heavy wet clothes
are. Every bit of that water will end up inside the condo. I'd also be
concerned about enough moisture to let mold take hold.

I still don't know how much water they are supposed to put in that
thing. I can go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the directions if I
can find one unless you remember.

There should be a fill line on the filter body.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joy" wrote in message
news
I'll have to give some thought to a real filter like you suggest since, I,
too, am concerned about all the extra humidity. Who needs the extra water
vapor this thing adds?

Anyone who uses a humidifier in the winter could consider it.