Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JeffM JeffM is offline

Default sci.electronics.repair Spam.

peanutwhistle wrote:
1.) Has anyone had success reporting inappropriate postings
through Google using their reporting tool?

Only if ~999 other people also do it
--and all the jerks have to do then is sign up for a new account.

Since Gmail's CAPTCHA was recently cracked,
they can now automate their sign-ups.
In short, it's a waste of time.
Google Groups has to do something *different*
like present a CAPTCHA **each** time someone wants to post.

Instead of bothering with the anti-spam idiots at Google,
look at the headers. Do a reverse DNS on the Posting Host
and report the jerks to their providers (ISP or NNTP provider).

2.) Has anyone found an effective Usenet filter set against
spammers if we are just using our typical IE

Internet Exploder is useless.

and Firefox browsers?

Gecko + GreaseMonkey can do a little (see link below).

3.) What else could we reasonably do?

Treat Usenet like it's Usenet
and abandon Google Groups--if that is an option for you.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...ver+invaluable

....and feel free to contact Google
about my one-CAPTCHA-per-post idea[1]
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...rch= Continue

..
..
[1] That's how Slashdot does it with AC posters
("Anonymous Cowards").