Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default bandwidth

On 2008-03-25, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:15:53 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex
quickly quoth:

[ ... ]

I don't have time to pick through 800 posts a day to find a few gems, or
an unsuspecting newbie needing some help..
I guess I'll go back to Practical Machinist for a while.

I'm irritated at having to hit the "Ignore" button on 75% of the
posts, too. But it doesn't take long. I download them all (30 seconds
via DSL nowadays) and then kill most of them. What ****es me off are
all the replies to known trollings by (otherwise) intelligent folks.
Amazing! sigh Well, we all have our bears to cross.

[ ... ]

Am I the only one that still uses OE?

I don't know, though I fear not. I know that I can't use OE,
and am glad that I can't.

I can glance through the headers in
a few seconds and the OT stuff doesn't bother me...how could it, I can
simply ignore without opening the entire thread. What's with the 800
posts/day he's talking about? I see about 30 on a good day, a half a page.

It is a function of how good your news server's spam filtering
is before things get to you. I get about 300 per day, of which 200 are
zapped by the killfile -- many on IP range to get rid of a lot of the
real spam (China, India, and a few others), and some varying percentage
on "Subject: " header contents, plus a few on "From: " (which get rid of
quite a few). My "Subject: " ones are set up to die after typically 30
days, since an off-topic thread seldom runs longer than that. If it
does, I just put it in for another 30 days. :-)

If you are only seeing 30 on a good day (prior to you killing
off those you don't want to read), I would suggest that your news server
is killing off too much.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564