George Katele

Default Dust and Noise

I'm in the process of setting up a new shop in my home. It's about 16
by 25, and it's a room in the lower level of a walkout of a house set
on a slope. Adjacent to the shop are a family room, and stairs leading
upstairs to the main living level.

Obviously Dust and Noise (D&N (TM)) are an issue.

First of all the Dust:

I have a 2hp dust collector that will be set up at each workstation
(router table, tablesaw, chop saw, etc) with appropriate ducting. I
also have a ceiling hung filter. I have heard of a system that takes
the shop air and vents it outdoors via a filter, and then a heat
exchanger returns the air to the shop (so I'm not cooling/heating the
backyard). has anyone heard of such a device, and how much will it
cost?

Noise:

Shop is below master bedroom/great room area. I'm ripping up the
ceiling and walls of the shop for wiring purposes, and I'm going to
re-drywall. As long as the studs/joists are bare, what can I do for
noise?

Thanks in advance,

George