Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default furring channels for new construction

They are also known as DWC or hat channel. They make really great
furring strips. They make really lousy studs, rafters, joists,
etc. Lesson learned, don't buy a pig in the poke. Any commercial
drywaller will probably give you your money back.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"easy" wrote in message
I picked up a couple hundred pieces of what looked to me like
metal
studs at an auction for $10. Since then I have found out that
they
are "Furring Channels". They are 7/8 in deep and 12 feet long
20
gauge galvinized steel.

I am now planning out building a 8X8 shed. I was plannning to
use
2x4s and 2x6's for the framing and plywood for the floors and
walls
and courigated steel for the roof.

I would like to know if there is any way I can use these furring
channels to take the place of any of the wood materials that I
would
otherwise have to buy. Can they be used under the plywood floor
in
place of the 2x6's? Can they be used to hold up the walls or
roof in
place of 2x4's? Any ideas are welcome.

If there is no application for these Furring Channels, any ideas
what
I could do with them?