Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Warm Air alternatives

wrote in message
We live in a flat with a Johnson & Starley warm air system that has
been disconnected by 'cos the heat exchanger is leaking. Yes, I know
it could be repaired but it's 30+ years old and next year it will be
something else!

We have had a J&S approved guy call who recommends a new J&S heater -
Economaire - it's sealed and doesn't fall foul of the increasingly
tough ventilation/air entry standards. Looks OK.

BUT

However, it does seem a bit expensive. J&S won't tell me what their
boilers cost so I have no way of checking. He wants £2400 to replace
it, replace aged fortic and put in new controls.

Is this fair?

Are other warm air boilers available, are they any good?

Wendy

Stick with the J&S forced air. The new units are a world away from the old.
You may want to install new registers too. Get one with an electrostatic
air filter - eliminates dust. Don't bother with radiators. The boilers do
not last as long as forced air units, You will have no ugly rads and pipes,
a fast heat up, cooling and vent in summer to. Wet system sludge up in the
rads and eventually parts of it will leak laeaving stains.

Get a price from another agent. J&S will give you them.