Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heathkit parts

D-unit wrote:

"jakdedert" wrote in message .. .
me wrote:
Heath Part # 443-601

Dude...give us some context. First off, if you're asking for help, then
it's assumed you've exhausted all the normal channels. As someone
pointed out, there's hundreds of resources on the web. Have you checked
those?

Second, what the hell is a 443-601, anyway? Believe me when I say that
nobody's gonna dig through manuals and download schematics just to see
if they have the particular piece of gear--among the many thousands of
models Heath produced--which has the particular part you need. They (or
even I) may have it in a piece of salvage gear. I'm not going to spend
hours (or even minutes) to check. Even listing the model number of that
particular piece of gear would increase your chances that someone has
it, and might not need it...context.

Lastly, quoting a bit of the original post helps immensely in following
the context of the thread.

You're asking for someone's time. Expend a little of your own...or not.

jak

This is what its like to work a (phone) tech help desk.

Tech: Can I help you?

Caller (mumbling something to someone else...then..) Oh yea... My unit don't work.

Tech: What kind of unit is it?

Caller: I don't know

Tech: Do you have a Model #?

Caller: I knew you were going to ask me that.

Tech: So you don't have it?

Caller: Well, Its on the other side of the room.

Tech: Would you mind going and getting it?

Caller: Well ok.. (takes 5 minutes to come back to the phone)

Then A Few minutes later......

Tech: So what's it doing..or not doing?

Caller: Well, I can't get it to work!!

And it just gets worse from there.

This is my job and I want to strangle some of these idiots.
I really have to restrain myself some days.

That's still better than the old days in TV service when someone
would walk in the door and demand you sell them a 'nub for my tb'. They
didn't know the model, the brand, the knob they wanted, or even if the
TV was B&W or Color. Like refrigerators are called Frigidaire", all TVs
were RCA. Get to the house and it's a Philco.

If you want to talk about online tech support, I guided a scientist at
Antarctica through a repair of a piece of telemetry equipment over a
satellite internet connect about 10 years ago. Have you ever tried to
explain something to a PHD?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html