Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Jeff B Jeff B is offline

Default Mitering Large Width Boards

On Mar 24, 11:02*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"Jeff B" wrote in message

I seem to have 2 options...1) go buy a new half decent quality table
saw or 2) lay the board flat on the miter saw, cut as much as I can
with the blade tilted 45, then flip and rotate the board to cut the
rest. * While I usually look for any excuse to buy new tools, a new
table saw won't get used much after this project. *(And no...I don't
know anyone I can borrow a good table saw from.)

How about option #3 - rent a table saw or miter saw.

Thanks for all of the pointers.

Renting is not really an option. There is a fair amount of mitering
work to do with these wide boards. Since I have a regular day job, I
cut a piece here and there at nite during the week and more on the
weekends. Obviously I can't rent it for a week (and pay more than
outright buying) and I don't want to rush on some Sat and feel
pressured to get it done and back to the rental store. I usually end
up @$#%-ing it up under those rushed conditions.

HD and Sears both sell basic table saws for ~$100. (HD has a Ryobi on
sale for $99.) I know you "get what you pay for" so I'm not rushing
over to pick one up today without some research.

--Jeff