Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Epoxy

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:19:07 -0700, The Last Mimsy wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:09:14 GMT, Esther & Fester Bestertester

See no n.g. for adhesives & epoxies, so if there's a better forum for this,
just point me to it.

I need an epoxy that is strong to the point of brittle. I want no flex; it
has to transmit vibration as close to 100% as possible.

Am I looking for a high Shore Hardness value? That's what Devcon uses in its
data sheets to specify hardness.

Is this something that I can achieve by changing the mix of the 2 parts? If
so, what do I lose if I use more hardener?

Any personal experiences with epoxies that you found to be harder than
others?

With the way you worded this, it would seem that a technical response
would go right over your head.

Epoxy mix ratios are NEVER meant to be altered. You need to find an
epoxy that matches your needs. The only time I ever saw mix ratio ranges
to alter behavior, it was with an epoxy branded as "stycast". Which,
would oddly meat your needs.

It will not likely be cheap, however.

Just FYI, when I was a kid, my Dad (RIP) got a two-bottle set of one of
the first epoxies, and its instructions gave one ratio for a rigid bond,
and another for "flexible".

I haven't seen anything like that lately, probably because so few
people would have the right measuring stuff. :-)

Thanks,
Rich