Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Counter tops what material?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
charlie wrote:
i've made concrete countertops. they are very hard, and have to be sealed
because they are pretty porous. a sharp edge can chip off, but if you
make it with rounded edges, it would be very difficult to chip.

at 4" thick, it was a chore to move around and install by myself. ...

That would take a tremendous amount of drawer space out of a kitchen if
the counter top were that thick -- essentially, no top drawer at all where
that counter is it would seem???

huh? why? so my counters are thicker than normal. a normal substrate for
tile is a couple inches anyway, so it's only about 1"-1.5" thicker.

At 4", I'd agree they'd be hard to chip, but better have a serious counter
to support 'em...

normal particle board cabinets can hold them (at least until they get wet
. i have a 120g fish tank with 1/2" plywood vertical members for the
stand. it weighs upwards of 1200lbs on a much smaller footprint than a
kitchen countertop.

I see the advantage of cheaper materials and some of the pictures in
things like FHB look pretty good at least in the pitchurs...