Rick Chamberlain

Default Deck Decision Help

In article ,
says...
Fellas (and ladies where applicable) please excuse my ignorance, but why
would you make the structure of your deck with pressure treated wood and
then use Ipe for the rest of the deck? Wouldn't this mean that in a few
years, you'll have to remove the deck to replace the pressure-treated
structure? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'd like to know before I
re-do my deck next year. Thanks in advance.

Price. Treated wood will last a good 15-20 years. Ipe should last
longer. My deck is 9 feet off the ground, and my only concern is
replacing the 6x6 PT posts. I've considered going with an adjustable
steel column and fabbing a bracket so I can sandwich the 2x12 beams
inside of the bracket. I would then wrap the posts in ipe or cedar.

I have seen some splitting of the 6x6s, and with the columns at a
reasonable price, I may try this out next year if I don't have any
*other* projects around the house!

Price is also the reason why I decided to use WRC for the rail system.
Ipe would have cost an extra $1200 for the rail system, plus it probably
would have taken me another month to finish the rail the way I designed
them. The cedar turned out quite nicely, and complements the decking
well.

Rick