Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 in 1 roll/brake/shear question

On Mar 24, 11:38*am, RoyJ wrote:
I'm looking at a used 30" import 3 in 1 sheet metal machines. What's the
usual wear or breakage points?

I don't plan to use it much, mostly quick little prototype projects in
my home shop. *I have access to bigger machines when I need to do
anything serious or precision.

Smaller machines like these are very handy to have around...if you are
working within their limits I.E. the thinner guage material.

With that said the condition and quality varies considerably with
imported Chinese/Indian machines.

I would test shear (the shear being the most likely part of the 3 in 1
that may be defective) very thin material and see how well it cuts.
Poor shearing may be to a dull blade or to a bigger problem.

I have also noted that many of the 3 in 1 imported machines I have
seen have had the cast iron table under the shear broken in
half...which is rather obvious. ;)

If I had one, I would reinforce that part of the machine considering
how many I seen broken.

The brake and roll function seem to be acceptable for an import
machine.

For myself I chose the route of separate machines (i.e. Diarco/Pexto/
Whitney) which resulted in better quality but they take up much more
space and cost considerably more.

I also seem to recall that there is a Japanese 3 in 1 machine
(Trinco?) that is a quality machine...and is the basis of the 3 in 1
import clones.

TMT