Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Little boxes made of ticky tacky

Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:44:14 UTC, Dave wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm fully aware of what screw to use thank you. I used the type you
describe, the pan head that comes as standard with the easi drive fixing.

Just being a touch picky here, but a pan head screw can also be named a
cheese headed screw. Just imagine either a full round of cheese, or a
kitchen pan upside down and both have a screwdriver slot in the top,
then you have a pan head, or a cheese head screw depending on where you
come from.

Sorry, but no. Cheese head screws have straight sides, pan head screws
don't. For example, see:

http://www.pts-uk.com/prodrng.htm

Yes. :-)
Probably a better description that I tried and failed to convey.

An earlier link posted from wiki tried to explain the difference between
a bolt and a screw. Just talking from an engineering point of view, I
was always taught that a bolt had a plain shank between the threads and
the head and that a screw was threaded all the way up to the head, minus
a thread. The reason I say this, is that I have spent over 25 years in
the aerospace industry and France, Italy and Germany all got together to
create a standard that could be applied.
Bolts were given one common number, followed by info that described the
thread diam and length of the plain shank and screws were given another,
followed again by the same sort of info, but was the total length of the
threaded portion and were then broken down into minute detail in the
standards books.

Dave