Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Kurt vise swivel attachment question

On 2008-03-21, Jon Elson wrote:

[ ... ]

2) There are no chips resting on and no dings in the swivel base
(which would otherwise hold part of the vise too high.

I'll bet there may have been some chips there. the pin was
binding in the vise body, so I had great difficulty separating
the two, and they've never been together again.

Hmm ... if the pin was binding, perhaps the vise body did not
set down far enough -- held up by the pin, and thus pulling up part of
the swivel ring.

6) And -- which I should have put as the first item, the alignment
keys in the bottom of the main vise body should be removed, and
replaced on the bottom of the swivel base -- or just set aside.
If they are left on the main vise body, they may hold the vise
a bit clear of the swivel base and thus allow it to rock.

The keys hang way out beyond the swivel, so they can't interfere.

O.K.

[ ... ]

I've had good results with a swivel base on both a 4" Kurt clone
and a 3" Kurt clone -- with rather heavy cuts in a horizontal spindle
milling machine.

This is the 6" model, and I wish I had a bigger one, but I
wouldn't want to lift it. Anyway, now that I have CNC, I don't
NEED the swivel anymore, so I don't care what the problem was.

The horizontal is a small one a Nichols, and the swivel base for
the 4" Kurt clone projects far enough off the edge of the table to limit
the Y-travel. With the vise alone, there is no problem. There is only
one T-slot in the table, so there is no option to mount the swivel base
in a different T-slot to avoid the intereference.

The 3" clone fits with no interference, so it was what I used
until I got a genuine Nichols milling vise which is closer to 5" grip
and on a swivel, but with no interference. Also -- the swivel base has
a vernier scale to allow angle setting to 15 minutes IIRC. The Kurt
clone does not even zero properly. :-)

I do have a 6" genuine Kurt (those are more affordable than the
smaller ones), but no swivel base for it, because that machine was a CNC
machine, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564