Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Wood Gas, Lots of metal, but a little OT

On Mar 23, 1:28*pm, Ted Frater wrote:
* Here gas is $9.50 an imp gallon and diesel is $11.00 an imp gallon.

Fortunately we supply all our own utilities, our main cost is red
diesel, which is not taxed as its considered to be agricultural use.
* That is still $1.00 a uk gallon on a delivery of 500.

Ted
Dorset
UK

But you get it all back in social services.

Is it practical to operate your own steam plant there, or are boilers
regulated out of existence?

DIY home energy is hardly practical here if we comply with all the
safety and hazardous-waste regulations. Even windmills are very hard
to get approved; they "ruin the view". Where I live lead-acid storage
batteries have to be outside the house and winter temps drop to -20C
and occasionally -30C.

At least our wood-framed houses are easy to super-insulate.

Jim Wilkins