Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Power tool specs

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've often said that Makita stuff seems to punch above its weight. I've got
a 860w Makita router that performs better than a 1200w 'shed' own brand, a
950w circular saw that eats 38mm worktop & a 14.4v combi that I reckon would
see off a lot of 18v tools.

I wonder if this is down to the way they quote the figures.

When I were in the pressure washer game there were a trade body what laid
down standards for measurement of pressure, flow rate & temperature.

At one stage I worked for a Danish manufacturer (Gerni) who quoted exact
performance figures for each machine. The standard laid down rules for
where in the pressure could be measured, how it should be measured & the
tolerance allowed. Pressure was +/- 10% and in their brochures Karcher
always used actual test pressure + 10%, whereas Gerni used actual test
pressure - which made the Gerni machines seem less powerful.

Temperature was a bit flexible in how you measured it. Gerni quoted max
temp as 135c because that was what you got at the nozzle, Karcher and all
the others quoted 150c because that was what you could measure at the
machine. The 10 metre pressure hose lost you 15c before the water got to
the nozzle, so the machines produced the same heat.

DIY pressure washers aren't covered by the trade body & the claims are
outrageous. 'Maximum' pressure 120 bar often means 85 bar working and if it
reaches 120 bar the pump head splits!

So, I wonder if a Makita 860w is another's 1200w depending on how you
measure it? Perhaps Makita quote the correct figures & others quote
'maximum' figures?

Is there a standard measure?

I think your points are valid. Only independent testing by a suitably
trustworthy body would get over the moving goalposts. And that isn't
going to happen. :-(

Many years ago I had a small Bosch circular saw which worked
excellently. Its rating (a few hundred watts) was pathetic compared to
B&D and other makes. The explanation I got (from where I cannot
remember) was that all the rest used plain journals whereas the Bosch
had some form of proper bearing. Not at all sure if that was the case
but it sounded good. :-)

Now I see the Jan-Mar 2008 Bosch sales catalogue (BluePrint) which says
about a new mid-range drill driver:

"They can run for longer too: up to 30% more screws per battery charge
due to a newly developed gearbox."

Consideration of losses internal to the tools (fans, bearings and
gearboxes being obvious areas) might be part of the explanation.

--
Rod

onset.