Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default forklift update, paving question

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:36:50 GMT, the renowned "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

"Backlash" wrote in message
I think the type of asphalt, along with it's base material used, has a lot to
do with it's ability to support a forklift. The parking lot at work seems to
have some small aggregate mixed into it, and a forklift weighing 5,500 lbs,
with pneumatic tires, often with a 2,000 lb load, has been operated on it many
times daily in all kinds of weather, with absolutely no issues, since 1967. It
hits 100 degrees here in summer, and maybe as low as 18 in winter.

Same here. I have been driving solid tire forklifts on the driveways around
my S. Florida workplace since 1970, and was quite surprised to read in this
thread that it couldn't be done. I suppose it depends on the type of asphalt
and the quality of the base that it is installed on, but asphalt can certainly
be made to work.

Vaughn

I have done it on a residential driveway with a 2500lb load... I was
worried but it held up okay. I think we paid for 3" of asphalt. Maybe
if it was really hot it would not have.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany