Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus Steve Kraus is offline

Default Questioning faucet install charges

Here's Mom's new kitchen faucet:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...un/faucet1.jpg

It's an American Standard. Existing sink, no change in configuration or
anything. She needs a new backsplash but I digress. I bought the faucet
online and Mom called a plumbing company to install it.

Here's underneath:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...un/faucet2.jpg

Previously it was copper all the way up. No flexes and perviously there
were no shutoffs. So the new installation included those shutoffs and the
chrome plated lines you see. Quality of the installation workmanship seems
fine.

Is $482.00 a fair price for this install (including the shutoffs and short
bits of tubing)?

Parts and labor are not broken out but the invoice says $336.00 for the
faucet installation and $146.00 for the shutoff valve installation. Was
this fair or did a senior get taken taken to the proverbial cleaners? I am
aware that skilled labor and a truck and shop filled with parts don't come
cheap but it seems outrageous to me but then maybe I am just out of touch.

This is suburban Chicago if it matters.